For all of us who hesitate to look at others blogs because of the "perfect" lives that other bloggers have, please, read on. I have thought about this and wondered to myself "Why do blogs sometimes get me down?" This may not happen to all of you and it may be obvious to the rest. Because no one wants to write about the not so perfect points in their life. We see all the good and none of the bad on the blogs. I am going to try harder to make this more of a journal with every kind of entry. More practical, less bragging. I think as moms it's important to see and hear what really goes on with other moms so that we know we are normal. To know that we are doing o.k. and that their are so many others in our situation. Here is my first post with this one.
I don't know why I keep thinking that every time I go to the grocery store it is going to be different. Every time I go I vow that I will never go to the store with my kids again (ask Jason, I really do, every time)! Monday was no exception and maybe now that i have this post to remind me, I really won't! Maybe it's just me, you other moms can comment on this one but why is it that whenever your kid is having a meltdown/temper tantrum. You can look around the store and your child is the only one behaving this way? I also don't understand why everyone stares at you like you have control over this behavior? It is usually the "older" generation that must have had children so long ago that they have forgotten what it is like to take two kids to the store in a cart that only seats one and one of those children is in full swing "terrible two" mode at the time! Honestly, the whole drive home from the store I am thinking things like "What would super nanny do?" What am I doing wrong? I should have said that to her! Is something wrong with me? Is something wrong with my kids?"
To me, waiting for Jason to get home or getting a babysitter is worth my sanity. I am beginning to wonder if I am ever going to be able to go anywhere! I am trying to put the pieces together of what triggers their erratic behavior. The same thing happened on my jog 2 mornings ago. Kate starts to get bored and then picks on her sister. In turn, Macy wails on her sister back. This only causes a chain reaction because then I get upset at Macy for clobbering her sister and so I have two crying children and one upset me! I don't know what to do. If any of you have any suggestions, or just comments of understanding...feel free. They are much appreciated!
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



16 comments:
Love the new blog idea...and, you're not alone in the terrible 2's! Trust me...let's see...major major meltdown at Barnes & Noble today (had to be carried out kicking and screaming!), cried (more like whine cried) the whole way home, and then woke up grumpy from his nap and spent 20+ minutes having meltdown when I told him he couldn't pull all the baby wipes out of its container. Ya I relate. My strategy today was to turn on good music (loud enough to drown out the meltdown) and drink a diet coke. And of course, ignore all of the stares I got when I walked out of the bookstore with a screaming child...and realize that if they can't relate to the terrible 2's, they haven't experienced much in life. :)
Don't get me started on the grocery store. Monday Adyson, the 4 year old, threw the tantrum of all tantrums. Um, she's 4, and should know better..right? I was moritified, and vowed once again to never take my kids again!
I have no advice, but if you figure out the secret-share it.
How is your neice doing?
hahahahaha!!! I love this post. I thought I was the only one in the blogging world to have little girls that fight like crazy and pester the heck out of each other, well mainly emmy!!
I haven't dealt witht he grocery store, but I did deal with lowes. Long story, the easier version. I walked out with all my stuff still in the cart, until Kaelyn stopped. I told her she couldn't act that way in the store and we had to stay outside until she stopped. It did work. And we hadn't had one since, but I suggest trying that, cause if you never take her to the store, she'll never get over it. Good luck to you on that one. I've lost a lot of hairs of Emmy freaking out everyday, anywhere, any time!!!
I do want to come up before the weather gets to chilly. So hopefully here shortly. I'll be sure to let you all know!!!! I think our girls would have a riot!!
I completely understand.
I just got your last comment, Adyson is going to Tana Downs Little People Prep. (It's my sister in law Amy's mom.) Where is Macy taking? She goes Tue-Thur from 12:30-2:30-and any other time we are pretty free. Pathetic huh?
We ALL live through this, and any mom who wants to say that their child has never done this is a liar- or else has never ever taken their child to a store.
I think the key to all of this is to remember the reasons that you like this job: the mom I love you's, and the kisses and hugs, the sounds of your little girl's voices singing Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam- and realize that it's all going to be gone way too soon and even though its ridiculously hard right now and sometimes feels (gasp) as if it's not worth it; it is- ALL of it.
Now with that being said, I am going to go dig around in the kitchen for some chocolate and try to forget just HOW MANY times I yelled at my kids today!
This is exactly how I feel! If you go back and read a few of my recent posts, I've written about a few days that might make you feel better! I don't think there's much we can do. I guess they grow out of it or one goes to school and we can shop then. I remember my mom would only go grocery shopping at 10pm. Sounds like a good idea to me!
I totally agree with this post 100%! I HATE the grocery store with my kids, and now I have another on the way. I have no idea what I will do. I have done a few grumpy posts on my blog as well so I can know and look back, becuase this really is like my journal! I try and show the fun stuff, but really life is NOT that perfect for any of us I am sure:)
Dax is great at tantrums and Corban is just hitting them right behind them. And no I dont have any fab. ideas so if anyone does, I would love to know as well!
Oh my goodness, you will have to go and read my post this week, it will probably make you feel better. I have to admit I have made that threat to my husband every week too, yet I find myself right back at Wal-mart all by myself (it takes me 2 weeks to calm down and re-attempt) but I do it!!!!!
I think any mom can relate to this post. I am in favor of being honest, I don't think that has really ever been a problem with me, no one has it perfect all of the time! (for example my "Inspiration from a 4 year old entry!)
I have stopped going to the store until Dillan comes home for this very reason. It's kind of like a mini vacation.(next time you go, by yourself, take time to read the magazines, look at the make up aisle and buy your favorite snack to eat WHILE you shop. Im not kidding it makes this awful task of grocery shopping into a enjoyable time ALONE!) I love to read your blog, the bragging enteries and the venting ones. (It just keeps it real!) So keep up the good work! Blogging and mothering those cute kiddos and hang in there we ALL have those days!
Yes this all sounds familiar. In my family Kyron picks on Kambree and then she strikes back and hurts him, but who can blame her. It is a never ending battle of the sexes at our house!
Not many suggestions....just wanting to say that I TOTALLY understand how you feel. I HATE going to the store or most public places with my kids. If only people were nicer to moms when things like that happen. Don't you agree? People can be so rude that it makes you even more upset. I feel your pain.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has noticed this! It's like that Brad Paisley song "I'm so much cooler online"....we get trapped into making our lives perfect online! When in reality they are pretty normal;). I think we can learn more from each other when we are more real with each other too!!
Ditto...ditto...ditto!!! I have started to be very picky about where I go with my kids during the day. It's just not worth the drama and stress. I really thought that I must be the only one because every other mom seems to go out all day, every day with their kids. I purposely wait until Jon gets home from work to do any sort of shopping/errands that are going to take longer than an hour. It helps my sanity and my kid's happiness! You are such a good mom and maybe I wasn't around your girls enough, but they seem SO well behaved. You must be doing something right!!!
You know that I agree with you on the the perfect mom blogging thing. It does make you feel better when you know you are not the only one who has crazy times as well. I don't know what to do about the shopping thing either. Reese is just getting into the stage and it seems like half of the time Ellie is still in it. It makes you appreciate the times you get to go when it is just you, right?
First off, I completely understand! I wish I had a wonderful solution for all those times I want to cry, but I just don't.
Do know this, though--you are a great mom and I admire you so much! Don't let looking at other's blogs get you down, either. Like Chrissy said that day at lunch, I think a lot of moms/families post about the fun and good things in their lives. I personally could post about my day-to-day aggravations (which I do, sometimes!), but I don't want to sound too much like a broken record. You are doing a great job and I know you aren't doing anything "wrong." It's just having kids at the age we do.
Okay--why is it so totally easy to say all this and then not listen to my own advice? :)
Love ya!
Post a Comment