Sunday, March 16, 2008

Am I overreacting?

Am I overreacting? You guys tell me what you would do...or not do. So, like I mentioned in my earlier post, I LOVE this time of year. One of the reasons is because of Easter and all that comes with it. I think that may have all changed yesterday! Let me just start at the beginning and try to make this short.

Yesterday was Kate's first Easter Egg hunt. We had taken Macy to this same Easter egg hunts several years ago (when she was Kate's age now) and had such a fun time and thought we would try it again. Well, things were a little different this year, nothing huge and not a big deal but just...different. (I am trying to make this short and so I won't go in to the details). Anyway, Macy's age group went before Kate's and she wanted me to help her and so we decided Jas would take pictures and do the camera thing while we went out. Mind you that before the hunt I had a little talk with Macy about how it's not about how many eggs you get but that you just have fun doing it. I wish that someone would have had this same talk with half the moms there! When they said GO I felt like a contestant in the Amazing Race! You would have thought there was a million dollars hidden in one of the eggs. I felt like I was going to be trampled! That's when I knew the game was on! Now my eyes are peeled for anything resembling egg. We start heading for a couple of eggs and right as we get there a mom who has broken away from her child snatches up the egg that Macy was about to grab. "Are you kidding me?" I say to myself (but loud enough she can hear) "Huh, I thought this egg hunt was for the kids!" We take off again in search of any area that hasn't been found by all the mothers who have apparently gone MAD. There is literally no time to loose...people everywhere running and grabbing for anything that they can see in the grass. I drag Macy to some eggs and she gets a couple. We head to a section a little further ahead and once again, right as she is going to get a couple of eggs another mom who has left her toddler somewhere (I didn't even see any kid) grabs 2 of the eggs in the spot Macy was heading towards. At this point you don't even want to know what I am thinking! Once again I get a little vocal: "I think this hunt is for the kids, let's let them get some! O.K.?!" I could tell she felt dumb and I was glad. So...the hunt finally ends and I feel like I have just ran the running of the bulls. I was so worn out.

I head back over to Jas and he starts to tell me how we didn't "discuss the strategy"! Strategy? It's an Easter egg hunt!? To sum it up: I didn't even get a single picture of my Katers first Easter egg hunt because I was sitting on the side lines trying to get over the sheer shock and trauma of the first one. I just don't get it! I have seen it before at parades, parents who practically do everything but tackle the kid next to them just so that there kid gets that extra piece of taffy! What is it? I am not one of these parents and it drives me absolutely nuts to sit and watch this kind of parent! Will someone please explain? Am I overreacting or was I justified in saying something to these moms? (I felt really good after I did!) Let me know what you would do!(Notice I have not pictures to post on this one!)

23 comments:

Kassey said...

I totally would have said something. I hate when parents live through thier kids, plus thier poor kids probably weren't having any fun. I think you were right to say those comments!!

Carolyn said...

Oh my gosh - you have adorable children! What a beautiful family. I was so happy to see your comment on my blog. I've missed you so much - will you please come back and do my hair? :-)

p.s. I would have made the same comments at the Easter Egg Hunt.

Tara said...

I am in shock!!! I would have totally said something to those moms. What a way to ruin the fun day for some of the kids there. Sad.

Hayley said...

This is the reason we only go to family easter egg hunts. I HATE watching parents do this. It's like the dad cussing his kid out at a soccer game...you know what I mean? Let them be kids and teach them to share and have fun!

Cody and Mindy said...

Camille this story is so funny to me because I can hear you saying it...LOL. You were a little too nice for my taste though I would have really laid it on thick. I'm so glad I found you by the way...I ran past your parents house on Saturday and contemplated stopping and asking for your info and then yaaa today I found you!! Mindy (Norton) Haycock. Your family is beautiful...those girls are so precious! And you have not changed one bit...you are an adorable mother! Again I'm sooo glad I found you!! Talk to you soon.

Haueter Photography said...

I think that you were too nice. I can't believe that parents are like that! Let your kids be kids...geez. Oh and the pics that your friend took of your girls are so cute! They are adorable.

Kade and Katie said...

so you don't think i should be hunting for my kids?? i mean, it's all about quantity, right? i've thrown a few elbows to get in on some jelly bean eggs! jk!seriously!! what the heck are those parents thinking. you could have said WAY more and i think that everyone would have had your back on it! you really need to get out of vegas!! :) love ya mille!

The McClellan Clan said...

I feel like you were thinking right!! I would say you should have been more vocal. But I can say I would be more vocal, but when it really comes down to it. I don't cause I don't want to hurt anyone. But that what things are like these days. You don't play sports anymore to have fun. You have to kick butt or go home. Cause mom and dad will have your hide if you make a mistake. Its really sad!! You just need to make sure your kids know what is right and that it isn't nice to do that!!! Good luck on the next one!!

Melissa Hernandez said...

I hope you don't mind I stopped by to see how your cute family was doing. I couldn't help but laugh at this story, because I have had this discussion with my girlfriends at dinner. I think next time you should wear boxing gloves, then no one will even dare come close to your little girls eggs! I can't believe some parents. p.s. I love your previous post with all the beautiful pictures, they are too too cute!!!

Jami said...

I'm sorry your egg hunt turned out bad. I would've been so mad and way to go to say something. What selfish mothers!

The Bagley Family said...

Holy crap... I would have done the same thing you did. That is so irritating! I'm sorry it was such a bad experience!

emandtrev said...

Seriously, that's why I hate stuff like that! Which is so sad, because it should be fun and smiles for everyone, right?! Especially the kids. Wow. You're definitely not overreacting. I probably would've kickboxed someone. :)

The pics of your girls are ADORABLE!!!

Bre said...

I am with you totally! That is why we just do family egg hunts as well. I really dont think other parents understand the whole thing! IT is really frustrating to me. I like to point my kids in the direction and let them go, but usually by the time they would get there, it would be gone so we just stick to family now because I would get vocal (more than you) and my husband would get embarrassed! I am SO sad that happened!

Marleen said...

Was that the Summerling egg hunt by any chance. We went to that one Nora's first year. It sounds very similar. I've decided not to go to it and just do friends and family or church egg hunts.

Jon and Nicole Palmer said...

So, I just got caught up on your blog...and first of all, I LOVE THE PICS OF YOUR GIRLS!!!!! They are so beautiful. You guys should be proud. Second, the easter egg hunt sounds totally ridiculous!! I would've been in shock too. There are always those parents who can't seem to let kids be kids. It's hard to teach your kids the right way to act when they see other parents doing the exact opposite of what you just told them to do. It ruins the fun. Boo on them. I'm glad you said something.

Rob and Mercedi said...

I can not believe the experience you had! Who would have ever thought mom's could be so crazy! I hope you get to have a family egg hung to get some cute photos. Sorry you had to go through that.

Tim and Melissa said...

Well said! I would have said the same thing...or wanted to anyway. Around here I'm afraid of getting beat up :)

I haven't dared take Dylan to any of the hunts as I'm expecting the same experience. I get too bugged!

Jamie said...

The same kind of thing happened to me last year at our neighborhood hunt!! I was so sad because I am the same way- I never knew you had to fight to get a dang egg! My poor kiddos got jipped, I don't think I'll go this year! I'm sorry for your crappy experience! How sad!

The McClellan Clan said...

thanks!! Ya I got the tutu's online. If you just google tutu's you will find the cutest ones. I'll have to google it myself, cause I can't remember my favorite site, but I had the girls specially made the way I wanted and the colors!!! I know, the amount of hits, was crazy. I hadn't had that many this whole time, but I started paying attention to my counter and seriously it was at 2700 I think and now its 2800 something. It was weird. It was after I posted those pics. I know there cute, but many, really, THAT CUTE!!! :) TAKE CARE!!

janet said...

of course you weren't overreacting. Everytime I go to things like these, I totally bring my boxing gloves. It is kind of funny to just sit back and watch these crazy moms though.. funny post!

Jami said...

Hey camille- to answer your question I know Bre from my ward in Logan. We were on the enrichment committee. I hope you guys had a good Easter Sunday!

Amme said...

We can totally sympathize! We went up to Sherri's for Easter and did the Bountiful community Easter Egg hunt and had a similar experience! I lost Lauren in the mad rush and when I got to her, she was in tears. She said someone took eggs out of her basket. Never again, only at home hunts!

The Kelly's said...

I agree with you! Just go to the store and buy some extra candy for your kids if it is that big of a deal. I would have said something as well! That is just sad it is for the kids, good job sticking up for your kids.